|Barbie as The Island Princess|
|Release dates|| October 2nd, 2007 (USA) |
|Running time||1 hour and 25 minutes|
|Soundtrack||Barbie as The Island Princess Soundtrack|
|Producer(s)||Jesyca C. Durchin, Jennifer Twiner McCarron and Shea Wageman|
|Writer(s)||Cliff Ruby and Elana Lesser|
|Preceded by||Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow|
|Followed by||Barbie: Mariposa and her Butterfly Fairy Friends|
|“|| There may be miracles awaiting.|
They may be closer than we know
When we have love to guide us as we go.
Barbie as The Island Princess is the 11th CGI computer-animated Barbie movie. It was released as a direct-to-DVD in 2007. This was Barbie's second musical movie, and it follows Ro, a girl who grew up on an island, only inhabited by animals before being found by other humans and taken to civilization.
"It's time to set sail with Barbie as The Island Princess in this full-length, original musical featuring nine fantastic new songs. After being shipwrecked on an island as a little girl, Rosella (Barbie) grows up learning to talk and sing with a family of loving animals: the red panda Sagi, the peacock Azul, and the baby elephant Tika
But when Prince Antonio discovers their tropical paradise, curiousity about her past leads Rosella to journey with the prince to his castle. As she and her animal friends explore civilization, they uncover an evil plot to take over the kingdom! Through its heartwarming ending, Barbie as The Island Princess shows that when love guides you, miracles may be closer than you know."
After a storm, a six year old girl is shipwrecked onto an island. Her only possessions left are a trunk with clothes and accessories, a flag with a white rose on it, and a broken nameplate only saying "Ro." She is found washed up on shore by a wise red panda named Sagi and a pompous but good-hearted peacock named Azul. The girl is raised by these two animals and called "Ro" since the broken nameplate is the only indication of her name. Ro learns how to talk to animals as she grows up, but she lost her memory since being shipwrecked.
The film skips to ten years later, when Tika, a baby elephant, has joined Ro's animal family. Ro goes exploring with her animal friends daily, and at night she sings a lullaby to Tika, one she has always known but can't remember where she learned it. Their world changes when an adventurous prince named Antonio and his friend Frazer discover the island. Sagi, Azul and Tika are afraid of the newcomers, but Ro is curious as she has never seen another human before. Antonio and Frazer slip while exploring and fall into a dark pond inhabited by three crocodiles. The crocodiles approach the men with the intent to eat them, but Ro appears, telling the crocodiles to leave the men alone, and they oblige.
Ro introduces herself to Antonio and tells him she doesn't remember anything about her life before the island. Antonio believes she may have been shipwrecked. Ro then introduces her animal friends, and Antonio and Frazer finally tell her their names. Antonio asks Ro to come back to his kingdom, Apollonia. Ro is unsure, but decides to go because there is chance she could find her family. Ro and the animals leave on Antonio's ship, and during the voyage Antonio and Ro develop an attraction.
Ro meets Antonio's family when they arrive in Apollonia: his parents, King Peter and Queen Danielle and his younger sisters, Rita, Gina, and Sofia. The sisters love Ro, Tika, Azul, and Sagi, but the King and Queen instantly disapprove. They think that Ro is too uncivilised, but Ro does make friends with the queen's pet monkey, Tallulah.
King Peter and Queen Danielle want Antonio to marry someone with royalty and help rule the kingdom. A queen from a neighbouring kingdom, Queen Ariana, wants her daughter Princess Luciana to marry Antonio, even though Luciana doesn't love him, and later becomes friends with Ro. However, Ariana is determined to keep Ro and Antonio, whose feelings for each other are growing, away from each other; in fact, she wants to kill Antonio's family and take over Apollonia. Her plan is revenge for her parents who were banished from the kingdom and made into pig farmers for attempting to murder the King and Queen years before.
Ro tries to make King Peter and Queen Danielle happy, but Ariana ruins everything. Ro feels that she should return to her island, but because she loves Antonio and wants to find out where she comes from, she decides not to leave. However, Antonio and Luciana are to have an engagement party. Even so, Tallulah, Tika, Sagi, and Azul make Ro a beautiful gown to wear, making her the belle of the ball. At the ball, Ro and Antonio dance together and he declares his love for her, but Ro leaves after reminding him he is marrying Princess Luciana.
Antonio writes a note to Ro that he wants to sail away with her, but Tika wants Ro to herself and hides the notes. Meanwhile, Ariana makes her three rats poison the animals in the kingdom with "sunset herb", a sleeping herb, so she can blame it on Ro. Ro is blamed and she and her animal friends are imprisoned. Azul accidentally eats some of the sunset herb while in prison and falls asleep. Antonio begs for Ro to be free, but King Peter tells Antonio he'll only free Ro, if he marries Luciana. Antonio reluctantly agrees.
Ro is freed, but gets banished from Apollonia and starts to go back to her island. Tika tells Ro that she hid Antonio's romantic note, but Ro forgives her. However, the group are in trouble because Ariana paid one of the crew members to sabotage their boat. Ro nearly drowns and while Sagi calls her, she recalls a man calling her "Rosella" in a similar situation when she was little. Tika nearly drowns too, but Ro calls for dolphins to help everyone. Back in Apollonia, the wedding has begun. Ariana puts more sunset herb in the wedding cake, but Ro returns to the royal greenhouse so she can make the tonic. Sagi takes some of the tonic to Tallulah, who was poisoned, when the group are caught by guards and Tika interrupts the wedding. One of the guards starts taking Ro to the dungeons again, but Prince Antonio stops him.
Antonio is happy to see Ro again, but King Peter demands she be imprisoned again. Ro tries to explain, but Tallulah is the real evidence that her tonic will work, as she is awake again. Ro tells everyone about Ariana's plans, but Ariana denies the claims, until Ro tells her to eat some cake; she can't because she put sunset herb in it and Luciana confirms that Ariana told her not to eat any food. Ariana runs away, but is stopped by Ro and she falls into a pig pen, reflecting how her parents were made into pig farmers. Then she is banished, but Luciana is free to stay.
King Peter apologizes to Ro and Antonio and gives them his blessing to get married. Ro tells everyone her real name is Rosella and Queen Marissa from Paladia approaches her, telling her she had a daughter named Rosella. They sing together a lullaby from when Rosella was a little girl and they realise that Queen Marissa is Rosella's mother, and that Ro is a princess. And now, Princess Rosella and Prince Antonio are married and Princess Luciana comes to their wedding, where she meets a Prince. When the newly-wed royal couple go for their honeymoon on Ro's Island, they take Sagi, Azul, Tika, and Tallulah with them
Starring the Voices of
|Kelly Sheridan||Princess Rosella (speaking voice)|
|Melissa Lyons||Princess Rosella (singing voice)|
|Alessandro Juliani||Prince Antonio|
|Andrea Martin||Queen Ariana|
|Russell Roberts||King Peter|
|Patricia Drake||Queen Danielle|
|Britt McKillip||Princess Rita (credited as Britt Mckillup)|
|Carly McKillip||Princess Gina (credited as Carly Mckillup)|
|Chantal Strand||Princess Sofia|
|Candice Nicole||Princess Luciana|
|Kate Fisher||Queen Marissa|
|Ian James Corlett||Pat (credited as Ian James Corlette)|
DVD Special Features
- Barbie Island Karaoke Club
- "I Need to Know" Music Video
- Trailer Gallery
- Sagi delivers his first line ("What a night! What a storm!") but Azul doesn't show up. The director asks where he is, and he is shown listening to "Shine" from Barbie in The 12 Dancing Princesses.
- Tallulah performs "At The Ball," but her "purple" parasol is green. The next one won't open, and when Tallulah tries she discovers it is stuck closed. The third one is purple and open, but then it closes around Tallulah.
- Ro swings over to the crocodile pond for her scene, but she falls in the water. The director asks if she's okay, and she laughs, saying she is.
- Ro sings the line "Here on my island there's nothing but fun." Then, Sagi sings his line while swinging, but then he crashes.
- The next one is another crashing scene. Tallulah is having fun swinging again when you hear her crash, which made her comment that they needed a stunt monkey for her.
- Antonio asks Ro to dance at the ball, and Azul pops out of Ro's dress feathers, saying "I think it's a great idea!"
- Ro agrees to marry Antonio, but suddenly a cell phone rings. Ro and Antonio both check their phones, but theirs are off. The phone belongs to Tika, who was called by her mom.
SoundtrackThe songs as listed on the official soundtrack:
- Here On My Island
- Right Here In My Arms
- A Brand New Shore
- I Need to Know
- Love Is For Peasants
- Right Here In My Arms: Greenhouse
- At The Ball
- The Rat Song
- Always More
- Right Here In My Arms: Reunion
- When We Have Love
- I Need to Know (Pop Version)
- The movie was almost named Barbie as Princess of the Animals.
- In this movie, there are several references to other Barbie movies, mostly Barbie in The 12 Dancing Princesses.
- Some of the 12 sisters - such as Ashlyn and Blair - appear throughout the movie, but not as themselves.
- Tallulah the monkey holds up Princess Genevieve's pink dress when she is singing "At The Ball".
- Rosella sometimes has the same hairstyles as other characters Barbie has played, such as Princess Anneliese and Princess Genevieve.
- Derek's pet bird Felix, from Barbie in The 12 Dancing Princesses, appears on Prince Antonio's ship.
- Azul the peacock listens to "Shine" from Barbie in The 12 Dancing Princesses during the bloopers.
- Luciana wears the same hairstyle that some of the 12 princesses wear.
- There is a peasant in Apollonia who looks like Prince Nalu from Barbie Fairytopia: Mermaidia.
- Wolfie from Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper appears during "The Rat Song".
- This is the last movie in which the character played by Barbie got married.
- Both Prince Antonio and Prince Stefan from Barbie as Rapunzel have younger siblings.
- The second Barbie Princess movie to have an original storyline and overall the sixth Barbie movie to do so.
- While Queen Ariana sang "Love Is For Peasants," it seems Luciana was wearing a purple ribbon in her hair, but after Luciana brought the books and her mother told her to not read the books again, it seems the ribbon was missing.
- Before the wedding is about to start we can see the the ribbon from Luciana matches with her dress but at the rest of the movie she wears her purple ribbon.
Also Known As
- Hungarian - Barbie, a Sziget hercegnője
- German - Barbie als Prinzessin der Tierinsel
- Albanian - Barbie Princesha e Ishullit të Humbur
- Italian - Barbie Principessa dell'isola Perduta
- French - Barbie comme la Princesse de l'île
- Dutch - Barbie als de Eilandprinses
- Brazilian Portuguese - Barbie em a Princesa da Ilha
- Spanish - Barbie en la Princesa de los Animales
- Latin Spanish - Barbie como la princesa de la isla
- Russian - Барби в роли Принцессы Острова
- Polish - Barbie jako Księżniczka Wyspy
- Czech - Barbie jako Princezna z Ostrova
- Finnish - Barbie Eläinsaaren prinsessana
- Persian - باربى پرنسس جزيره
- Georgian - ბარბი მარიპოსა
- Hindi - बार्बी एस आइलैंड प्रिंसेस
|Barbie as The Island Princess|
Quote: "There may be miracles awaiting. They may be closer than we know. When we have love to guide us as we go"
Characters: Azul | King Peter | Nat, Pat, and Matt | Pearl | Prince Antonio | Princess Gina | Princess Luciana | Princess Rita | Princess Rosella | Princess Sofia | Queen Ariana | Queen Danielle | Queen Marissa | Sagi | Tallulah | Tika | Tiny
Songs: "A Brand New Shore" | "Always More" | "At The Ball" | "Here On My Island" | "I Need to Know" | "I Need To Know (Pop Version)" | "Love Is For Peasants" | "Right Here In My Arms" | "Right Here In My Arms: Greenhouse" | "Right Here In My Arms: Reunion" | "The Rat Song" | "When We Have Love"